Casualty Underwriter (Construction)
San Francisco / New York
Our mission is to make construction safe and sustainable through innovative insurance products.
Shepherd is a tech-enabled MGU writing casualty insurance for middle-market construction. Our mission is to incentivize a safe and sustainable construction industry through innovative insurance products. Shepherd is creating a digital end-to-end insurance procurement experience, leveraging new sources of underwriting data and providing the construction industry with valuable benchmarking metrics. We're backed by Y-Combinator and have raised a Seed Round led by Spark Capital.
We are looking for a motivated and eager individual who’s passionate about the future of construction and eager to do the best work of their career.
You would be a dream candidate if…
- You aren’t afraid of ambiguity
- You have a strong work ethic, are self-motivated, and have the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- You have exceptional interpersonal skills (verbal and written) and a high EQ
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- You have a minimum of 3+ years of previous experience in the commercial underwriting space (construction and/or casualty experience is preferred).
- You have strong sales and marketing skills and are able to position accounts and close deals.
- Underwriting duties will include developing and negotiating price, coverage, terms and conditions for all new business and renewals while actively identifying target accounts that fit Shepherd’s underwriting appetite.
About the Role
Shepherd’s underwriting approach will be client-centric with a heavy emphasis on an efficient process. Our goal will be to leverage our technology and data to make quick, informed, underwriting decisions tailored to our clients’ specific needs.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate success in marketing, producer management, new business development, and the ability to successfully negotiate on all levels with both internal and external partners.
- Teamwork, communication, and negotiation skills are required.
- Solid background in risk analysis and experience with construction and/or casualty underwriting.
- Knowledge and proficiency with compliance, coverage, products and pricing strategies.
- Be adaptable and creative in a fast paced startup environment
Benefits & Perks
Paid lunch, snacks, and craft coffee in the office every day
100% employer contribution to top-tier health, dental, and vision insurance
401K Retirement Planning
Fidi Office with a beautiful patio and dog-friendly
We workout, ski, hike and do many activities together
Some team members you'll work with
Meet the team
Please include links to your GitHub, LinkedIn, or any other relevant info.