Shepherd is an Insurtech MGU serving the commercial construction marketplace. We are developing innovative insurance products designed to improve the safety and productivity of the construction industry by advancing the use of technology on job-sites. In the last decade, over $5B+ of venture capital has been invested into advancing technology in order to make projects safer but the underwriting models which evaluate and price construction risk have failed to evolve alongside. That’s why we’re building Shepherd. We believe contractors should be underwritten not only based on the nature of their work, but also the behavioral data that exists about the way they deliver projects.
The construction and insurance industries are at a critical inflection point. This is an incredible opportunity to join us at an early stage in a critical role. You will help us underwrite profitable and sustainable construction business while positioning Shepherd for long term growth in the insurtech market.
We are looking for a motivated and eager individual who’s passionate about the future of construction and eager to do the best work of their career.
You would be a dream candidate if…
- You aren’t afraid of ambiguity
- You have a strong work ethic, are self-motivated, and have the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- You have exceptional interpersonal skills (verbal and written) and a high EQ
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- You have a minimum of 3+ years of previous experience in the commercial underwriting space (construction and/or casualty experience is preferred).
- You have strong sales and marketing skills and are able to position accounts and close deals.
- Underwriting duties will include developing and negotiating price, coverage, terms and conditions for all new business and renewals while actively identifying target accounts that fit Shepherd’s underwriting appetite.
About the Role
Shepherd’s underwriting approach will be client-centric with a heavy emphasis on an efficient process. Our goal will be to leverage our technology and data to make quick, informed, underwriting decisions tailored to our clients’ specific needs.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate success in marketing, producer management, new business development, and the ability to successfully negotiate on all levels with both internal and external partners.
- Teamwork, communication, and negotiation skills are required.
- Solid background in risk analysis and experience with construction and/or casualty underwriting.
- Knowledge and proficiency with compliance, coverage, products and pricing strategies.
- Be adaptable and creative in a fast paced startup environment
Benefits & Compensation
- Platinum health insurance - 100% contribution by the company, 50% for dependents
- Flexible time off policy
- Work together in our new SF office!
- In addition to base salary, you will be eligible for variable, performance-based, compensation based on underwriting metrics and quality of premium underwritten.
Please include links to your GitHub, LinkedIn, or any other relevant info. Apply now