Shepherd is a tech-enabled MGU writing casualty insurance for middle market commercial construction. We believe contractors deserve to be rewarded for their investments in technology to be safer, more productive, or more efficient. Our mission is to incentivize a safe and sustainable construction industry through innovative insurance products.
Today, Shepherd provides free workflow tools for construction brokers in addition to selling their own commercial insurance products through the same brokerage channel.
This is an incredible opportunity to join us at an early stage in a pivotal role. Actuarial at Shepherd is about developing and advancing predictive modeling techniques to help our clients improve loss experience and enhance their overall business performance. You will help us shape our overall product, underwriting models, and hold key roles in client-facing presentations.
We’re looking for an experienced actuary who’s passionate about the future of construction and a willingness to embrace new ideas.
You would be our dream candidate if...
- You are driven, innovative, and eager to tackle problems in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in the P&C insurance industry in an actuarial role.
- Associateship/Fellowship in either the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS).
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to provide clear and concise verbal and written communication to non-actuarial staff.
- Ability to collaborate but also work autonomously. You will be expected to succeed without heavy direction and provide guidance to our underwriting staff on individual accounts as well as the overall book of business.
- Detail-oriented; able to maintain documentation with exceptional organizational skills.
About the Role
Shepherd leverages data from new technologies to support and guide it’s underwriting decision making. We intend to push the boundaries of traditional approaches within construction underwriting, while remaining laser focused on loss results, sustainability, and predictive modeling.
- Improve our ability to make sound underwriting decisions based on actuarial analyses including loss cost modeling, reserving, trends analysis, and pricing.
- Be able to absorb external data such as industry reports, benchmarks, and third-party vendor models to accelerate the company’s growth and profitability.
- Drive projects including the design/development of modern and intuitive underwriting models.
- Create consistent reports for different stakeholders, using data visualization and modern statistical models.
Benefits & Compensation
- Platinum health insurance - 100% contribution by the company, 50% for dependents
- Flexible time off policy
- Work together in our new SF office (if remote, 100% of your work-from-home setup will be compensated)
Please include links to your GitHub, LinkedIn, or any other relevant info. Apply now